When enjoying a breakfast muffin, our family likes to feel like we are eating more than white fluff with a streusel topping. These muffins have carrots, apples, nuts and raisins. Made with whole wheat pastry flour, they are still light, but with a complex flavor. Pair one of these beauties with a glass of milk or a piece of cheese and you’ve got a neat little breakfast for your sprint out the door.
Whole Wheat Carrot-Apple Muffins (makes 16)
In a large bowl, mix together:
- 2 c. whole wheat pastry flour (or 1 c. white; 1 c. whole wheat)
- 3/4 c. sugar
- 2 tsp. cinnamon
- 2 tsp. baking soda
- 3 large carrots (grated) — about 1-1/2 c.
- 2 large apples (peeled and grated ) — about 1-1/2 c.
- 1/2 c. unsweetened coconut
- 1/2 c. raisins, dates or a mixture
- 1/2 c. chopped pecans, walnuts or almonds
- 3 eggs, beaten
- 1/2 c. canola oil
- 1/2 tsp. vanilla
- 1/4 tsp. salt
Spoon into greased or papered muffin tins. Bake at 375 degrees for 25-30 minutes